Friday, October 3, 2008

The Apartment

I promised a while back to post photos of our apartment, and I am finally doing it. We live in the Avenues in Salt Lake in a 3-story red brick apartment building that was built in the 1950's and hasn't changed much since then. We live on a hill, so the view of the valley from the apartment is spectacular. I love that our living room is surrounded by windows!

If you look closely, you can see the U in the distance

The living room.

My favorite chair. You may think that it is ugly or "bright" or whatever, but don't mock it 'till you sit in it....you will melt like buttah!

The kitchen. No disposal, but there is a dishwasher.


Another of my favorite pieces of furniture. Pretty much anything that makes Grace happy (and sleepy) is a favorite of mine!


Gracie's half of Gracie's bedroom.
I made the quilt and the bumpers. (I'm not proud or anything...) :)


Rob's half of Gracie's bedroom.
We thought that 2 bedrooms would be enough...hahaha. We have too much stuff!

Our bedroom. Boring.

Our walk-in closet. Exciting.

The laundry room.
I told Rob that I wasn't going to move again unless we were moving to an apartment that had a laundry room in it. And isn't he sweet, he found me one that does! The only hiccup was that when we looked at the apartment there was a washer and dryer in it, and we didn't think that they might have been the renters'. When we walked through the apartment on the day we signed, we realized that we had been very wrong. Thanks to ksl.com and the Carters we have our very own washer and dryer! I am sooooooo happy! :)

The bathroom.
Isn't it delightfully pink? Oh, and did I mention that the light switch is outside the bathroom. So when you're enjoying a peaceful rest, some devilish person can easily leave you in the dark without even disrupting your privacy. The best part, there is no way that you can turn the light back on while you're sitting on the throne. Who thought that was a good idea?!
This is the means by which the dryer is vented. Thank you Dave for jimmy-rigging this vent. It is a hole in the wall of the laundry room that enters into the lower bathroom cabinets. From there, one of my old nylons was sacrificed to do the job of collecting most of the lint. When we dry our clothes, we just turn the bathroom fan on and shut the door because it sounds like a jet engine is taking off in our bathroom. This is far better than Marge, our neighbor upstairs' set up. She has to open her back door and run the vent and nylon to the outside. Now why would the builders even put in a laundry room without a venting system? (There are just so many things that I want to ask that yahoo if I ever meet him...)

Our apartment is built into the side of a hill, which, of course, must be an invitation to the creepy crawlies that this is their space too. We have a few spiders, moths, etc. every once in a while but the most common by far is this nasty bug: the centipede.
Who knew they were so disgusting? They have antennae and a long tail. I can't tell you how many of these we have zapped with our bug zapper which is fast becoming the most useful implement in our house.

I hope I haven't scared you off by now. We really do love living here. I invite you to come by and see us and check out our quirky apartment in person sometime.

6 comments:

Tricia and Jon said...

Ok - now I just have to sit in that chair! Sounds great!

Annie said...

You have done such a good job decorating!

Natasha said...

Creepy creepy creepy crawly. I like the bug zapper...I think I need one. I just love Grace's quilt. You are such a wonderful seamstress. You inspire me.

Erin Winters said...

Your apartment looks great! How long do you think you'll be staying there? I totally understand the aversion to creepy-crawlers. I think Florida shouldn't be the "Sunshine state" but rather the "Bug State." Yuck.
I think your blog is fantastic!

Candace said...

At least you have a washer and dryer. We live in a really small place, but I WOULD DIE if I didn't have a washer and dryer

Chadlee said...

It looks like you guys are in a beautiful area. I want that bug zapper!