Monday, September 29, 2008

Sunday Dinner

I love Sunday dinners. A classic around my house is the roast, mashed potatoes, gravy and onions. Now, I've cooked all that before and it's turned out well. I always feel very good about my cooking abilities when I make this meal. It is well-balanced and smells and tastes so good. It reminds me of good times enjoying meals with my family and friends. This week, I decided to get fancy and add yorkshire pudding to the mix. I called my mom to be sure that I had the recipe right and to get any last minute hints. Now yorkshire pudding is a special favorite of the family's. It has a very specific tradition that goes along with the cooking - it's called stress. You get it all ready and in the oven, then you must chant "oh, I know it won'r rise. It just isn't going to work this time. Oh no, oh no, it's just not going to rise." This must be done throughout the cook time. It was especially stressful to me because I had never done this myself, I had only witnessed the stress it caused in others as they made it. Well, it turned out beautifully! I was so proud of myself! It rose and was perfectly golden brown. After I had stuffed myself so full of dinner I spent the rest of the evening singing odes to the dinner to the tune of O Holy Night (oh, yorkshire pudding, your tender golden deliciousness.....) (it's been a while since I've had it), and hey, can I help it if I really love food? :) I was so proud we had to document it hot out of the oven.
p.s. The top photo makes me look like I weigh a thousand pounds, but I promise I have been losing the baby weight and haven't been eating as much as this post makes it sound like :)

p.p.s. (or is it p.s.s.?) The yorkshire pudding doesn't look that tasty, but let me assure you that smothered in gravy it is incredibly delightful!

6 comments:

trine k said...

oh wow, congrats on being such a fine chef!! I love your chants and singing about pudding, but why is it called pudding? Does it have a pudding texture?
AND you in no way look like 1,000 pounds, you look amazing!

Amanda said...

I have no idea why it's called yorkshire pudding. It doesn't have a pudding texture at all. It's more bready, but not. It's pretty much a gigantic popover.

Heidi said...

You have such a cute family! Amanda, I met you in your reception line in Bountiful. Rob, this is Heidi Winterton from good old Belmont days at BYU. I came across your blog and was so excited to see you have a little girl. She is darling!

tara said...

Let me join you in the love of yorkshire pudding. Three cheers to the Brits to coming up with it. And high-five for getting it just right - it must be all that stress.

Amy said...

Wow! Way to go!! It looks like german pancakes....are they the same thing??

Your Momma Somma said...

Hey Amanda!! I mean aspiring chef! You look great. I talked with Dad yesterday and he let me know about your blog- I am so glad he did. I love your posts. You know even if you cannot articulate clearly- you write expertly. Don't worry your brain will come back (to almost) pre-pregnancy state. My kids have a theory, that a mom's brain is like a rubber band and with each pregnancy it gets stretched then relaxes again to it's former shape. But as you know after a while it starts to get saggy. When I do something dumb, my kids mime holding a saggy rubber band between their hands and shake their heads sadly at me! But, don't ya know, my 'rubber band' has been stretched eight times! I am praying for complete restoration at resurrection. Love to you and your little family.
Your biggest sister- Marti