Friday, October 31, 2008

My Super Scary Halloween

Loosely adapted from The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe

Once upon a morning dreary, after I woke weak and weary,

Again checking blog posts, a.k.a. forgotten lore, :)

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my old back door.
`'Tis the workman,' I muttered, `tapping at the gutters core -
Only this, and nothing more.'


Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak October,
And each separate rain drop falling dripping, dripping on the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow; when I would wake and no longer
Listen to the dripping, dripping dropping loudly outside the door
Keeping me awake for ever more.


That was then and this is now – workmen cleaning gutters lightly

Thrilled me - filled me with fantastic joys never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating
`I will never be awakened by the sound of rain drops dripping,

Dripping right outside my door.'

Then the scariest part happened, I devised a plan of action

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
The gutters now will not be cleaner, cleaner than my kitchen floor!

I got the mop and broom for action, and no longer was I nappin’

Slowly my plan came to fruition, as the broom and mop were swishin’

And so slowly I came a cleaning, cleaning my dirty kitchen floor,

With brush and swish and scrub, scrub, scrub, the water turned an ugly shade -

Darkness there, and nothing more.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token,

Of my clean floor sparkling as ne’er ever before.

But the water dark and dismal was not a sign but more a signal
That I must do this much more often. I must clean and dust and vaccuum
All of this and much, much more.

With the dirt so oft terrifying, I am buoyed up – not close to crying

But if I don’t keep the house clean, whoever knows what else might be seen

Lurking in the deep, dark corners of our apartment evermore.

The centipedes should run with fright, the spiders need move out tonight!

So with resolve I get the Pledge out, hoping praying that Grace won’t pout

‘Cause this Halloween is about cleaning, cleaning evermore!

Thanks for indulging me in a little Halloween fun. And yes (sadly), this is a true representation of my Halloween. The mop water really did give me quite a fright!

Happy Halloween!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

You are so clever - what a cute poem! I think I will spend the day cleaning too. I wonder how dark my mop water will be...

Natasha said...

Ah yes...I had a very similar Halloween. :) I love the pictures of Grace in the pumpkin! Was it a real pumpkin? She is too cute. I also enjoyed Rob's squint in the fourth picture in your fourth picture folder.

Natasha said...

I love the family photo at the top. I love your hair cut as well. So cute! Was your picture professionally done? It's very nice.

Andrea Tao said...

I didn't know Dr Judd delivered Grace. ? Thats funny. Ya, I wasn't a fan of him. He was suggested to me by a friend and we had just moved to Pleasant Grove and I was already 9 weeks pregnant so I had to find a doctor asap. I liked him at first and voiced my opinion about needing to feel important and remembered. Ya, he did no such thing. I had residual tissue left in after Davis was born and I should have had DNC but he said to wait it out and see if it will come out on its own and I totally got a huge infection. He was so lame. He didn't really care about any of his patients. What you said about him doesn't suprise me at all. I will never go back there or refer anybody there. Sorry, he ruined things for you!

Your Momma Somma said...

You graduated with an English Major right? If not, tell BYU they made a mistake. Great adaptation of a classic poem. I loved it. Scary what 'dirt' you find you're living with. Wish it only frightened me on Halloween.