Sunday, March 29, 2009

Putting Down Roots and Are You Kidding?

We've decided to put down roots so yesterday we planted our first garden in front of our apartment. It's supposed to be a salsa garden so we plan to grow everything we need to make our own salsa (to make Rob a happy man) plus a few other herbs and veggies. We spent all of yesterday afternoon weeding and preparing the soil and planting the early veggies that we could (onions, strawberries, carrots and chives).
Rob weeding the future onion bed. What a trooper. He wasn't feeling well and had already ripped out a brick wall that morning.

Strawberries

Carrots and chives someday. Hopefully.

Then this morning:
The little peaks you can sort of see on the left are the onions. The two tiers are the strawberries.

Are you kidding me? I really, really, really hope all our cute little plants don't die. Alright already with the snow!

8 comments:

Madeline said...

That's so cool you are doing a garden, and so sad that it snowed. Apparently it's not supposed to be really nice weather for another 3 weeks.... this weather starting to get under my skin.

Madeline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristyn said...

Does "putting down roots" mean that you're sticking around for a while? Because I would be ever so happy to hear that!

I'm bummed about your garden, though. Especially the strawberries!

Cristin said...

AGH! Too bad about the snow. Everyone here tells me not to plant until after Memorial Day because of the frost.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, it's still cold in other parts of the country... that's hard to remember when it's 85+ degrees here. And no, I'm not gloating at all - I'm DREADING the next few months of hot, humid, nastiness and wouldn't mind sharing some of our heat if you'll share some cold. Deal?

Nikki said...

May I first say that you married an awesome guy when you married Rob! Look at him working so hard for you, when he doesn't feel the best. Secondly, I really hope your precious roots survive! That is Utah for you. Way to go for being little farmers!

tara said...

Come back here - it's already summer.

Also, do strawberries contribute to your salsa or are they just thrown into the garden as a perk?

Anonymous said...

Aaaah! Bipolar weather is the worst! At least it was sunny today eh? p.s. I'm not sure how I found your blog, but it sure is cute! I feel like we haven't seen you guys forever!