Tuesday, March 3, 2009

How To Make an Earring Holder

Since a few of you requested it, here's how to make an
Earring Holder Door


Supplies:
- 4 pieces of a wooden canvas stretcher. We got ours at Roberts Crafts. You can get any size you want so measure how big you want the finished product to be before you go.
- Mesh screen (from a home improvement store)
- Wood glue
- Paint
- Staple gun and short staples that won't poke through to the front of your wood frame.
- 2 small hinges and screws for hanging
- Carving knife

Instructions:
1. Glue the 4 pieces of the canvas stretcher together with wood glue. Let dry.
2. Paint the frame whatever color you would like.
3. Cut the screen to fit the frame plus 1/2".
4. Staple the screen to the back of the frame with your staple gun. Pick one area to start on and go out from there so that the screen stays as taut as possible.
5. If needed, trim the excess screen on the back so it looks good.
6. On the back of the frame, carve two little grooves so that your hinges fit and will be flush with the wall. If your frame doesn't have a lip then this step won't be necessary.
7. Attach hinges to the frame and hang on wall where you want.
8. Organize your earrings.

It's not a hard project at all. If anyone makes it, please let me know how it went for you.

Happy building!

9 comments:

Andrea Tao said...

That looks like a fun project. My problem is I am to lazy to put the backs on and off of the earings to attatch them to the holder. I have attmepted to uses earing holders and I always end up throwing them in a big pile in my drawer anyway. I wish I could be organized like you! It looks so much better.

Andrea Tao said...

That looks like a fun project. My problem is I am to lazy to put the backs on and off of the earings to attatch them to the holder. I have attmepted to uses earing holders and I always end up throwing them in a big pile in my drawer anyway. I wish I could be organized like you! It looks so much better.

Andrea Tao said...

woops, I don't know why that posted twice. Now you have 3 comments from me!

Annie said...

Very cute, and a great idea. Hope you have a great day!

Charisse Baldwin said...

I love the earring holder! But....I was wondering if you also might share where you got all of your lovely earrings? I love them!

Amanda said...

Thanks everyone. It's a really easy project and it's really not that hard to put the earrings on the holder since you have to put the backs on anyway right? I think if the holder is located conveniently to where you get ready and get un-ready I've found it to be very helpful and not so out of the way.

Charisse, I wish I knew where I got most of them. Some were gifts, a few I got in Europe on tour, others I got on clearance somewhere (probably Kohls?). Some are from Brighton, which is my favorite jewelry store. Sorry, not really helpful.

Madeline said...

Thanks so much for the directions, if only I wore earrings :D

Doug said...

ok so I am FINALLy getting around to e-mailing you the links. Sorry it has taken so long. Here are the two sites. Both have a newsletter you can sign up for and also a calendar area where you can look at the events
http://gocitykids.parentsconnect.com/region/salt-lake-city-ut-usa

http://www.todaysmama.com/index.php?set_location=4

I hope this helps with some fun ideas!

BrittWilk said...

you're crafty and amazing. you're totally my domestic idol.