Friday, March 27, 2009

I'm an American and I'm NOT participating in this recession

Dear America,

I love living here. I love that you offer me many freedoms that I would not have in another country. I love that you offer the "if you can dream it, you can do it" mentality. There are some things I don't love about you, but we won't get into that now and it's not even your fault - it's people who don't really think but act anyway who give you a bad name. I digress, so anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I am an American, but I am not participating in this recession. I'm getting so sick of watching the news about gloom and doom and despair! There are so many things to love about living here and so many choices to make that can make our lives better. Dave Ramsey, who is one of my favorite people that I've never met, is hosting a huge town hall meeting across the country called Town Hall For Hope. I love that someone out there is trying to give a message of real hope - not empty frou frou promises, but actual change that you and I can do to make a difference in our lives.

I feel empowered when I think that I have a choice to not participate in your recession, America. I can make good choices for myself and my family and choose to think about hope and not despair and fear, because I believe that this country was founded "in God we trust" and really, if that is true then there can't be despair and fear when God is near, only hope. So, this is your warning that we will not be participating in this recession if there's anything we can do about it!

love your favorite citizen,
Amanda

4 comments:

Susan said...

Thanks for those wonderful words! I so feel the same way! I am glad you can put what I was thinking into words for me! I will have to look up that town hall meeting!

Amanda said...

If you click on the words "Town Hall for Hope" in the post it will link you to the Dave Ramsey Town Hall for Hope website. You're welcome - I'm glad I could put it into words too - I've been thinking about it for a while!

Ivan said...

HOORAY FOR FORTITUDE AND GREAT THINKING!

Cristin said...

This is great. I love Dave Ramsey too. I'm going to check this out.