Thursday, March 12, 2009

Things I Love Thursday: Grocery Smarts

The Diaper Diaries hosts Things I Love Thursday every Thursday (obviously) and I just couldn't resist posting a thing I love: Grocery Smarts. I went to a couponing class for Enrichment a couple of weeks ago and a girl came and talked about Grocery Smarts, a website that helps you to save money by planning your grocery shopping trips. Here's a blurb from their handout "How does it work? Using the stores weekly ad, grocerysmarts maintains a list with the SALE price of each item. In addition, it lines up all the existing manufacturer's coupons and tells you what your bottom line is for each item." When you go to their website (www.grocerysmarts.com), you will need to enter a passport (the shareable passport I use is g84chs), then you can choose which store you want and it will give you a list of all of the items in the weekly ad with how much they're on sale. They even rate each item on a 5-star basis of how good of a sale it is for the item. The best thing, it's really helpful, and completely FREE. I also love that as you go through the list for the store you can click on the items that you need and then shrink the list so it only shows the items you need, then you can add notes for other items that you may need and then print it out. I love that right there on your list it tells you how much you should be spending on each item and which coupons you should use. As far as I can see it's only for Utah grocery stores. This site would be useful even if you don't keep your coupons, but even better if you do. I use this website to see what's on sale, then I plan my meals around what's on sale, add the final items I may need that aren't on sale and print it out and go. I love compiling my grocery lists now!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, that sounds like a great site, thanks for sharing

Andrea Tao said...

That sounds like a really good idea. But be honest, is it time consuming? I just don't have time anymore to look up coupons. And my grocery shopping trips consist of me wresteling two crying kids and picking up things that the baby throws out of the cart. So I pretty much hate grocery shopping. But if its really worth the time I'll totally try it! Thanks!

Amanda said...

Andrea, I think it totally saves time. They suggest that you keep the coupon packets (the Red Plum and Smart Saver and others) dated and in clear plastic sleeves. So when you make your list it will tell you exactly where the coupon is so you can clip only the ones that you'll use that day or it will give you the link to where to print that coupon off. If you don't even want to mess with coupons then I think it will still help because it tells you what's on sale and you can plan meals around that. It's so much easier and faster than what I was doing before. And since I have everything I need to know right there on the page I print off, it makes it so much faster. Let me know what you think if you try it.

tara said...

That's really smart AJ. My mom does the same thing and she saves a ton of money.

amber {and co.} said...

This is a great idea, I'm totally going to try it! Thanks for posting it!