Thursday, December 25, 2008

The White Christmas

We had a delightful Christmas today. Gracie did a good job opening her gifts and was a good sport with very little napping all day.
It was so nice to spend the day with family.

Then it started to snow.

And in 30 minutes we had a good inch and a half (at least!) before we knew it. Knowing that we live in the STEEP Avenues, we decided it'd be a great idea to leave early and head home so we could get home. There was very low visibility and one slide off on the way home.

Then it started to snow harder.

And harder.

And even harder.

It was officially a blizzard when we got to Temple Square and we were slipping and sliding through the intersection before we even got to any of the hills.

Then I freaked out. I'm from California and don't do snow. If I'm going to be out in the snow at all, I want Rob to drive. He's really good (and patient with me). And even Rob didn't think we could make it up the hill in our little Honda. We had four options which were thus: 1) try to find the least steep avenue to go up, but we didn't even think that we could get up it without it being plowed; 2) wait for a plow to come and plow B Street - this may have taken all night since not even State Street had been plowed; 3) turn around and head back to Bountiful and pray that we could make it to the Carters and into their hilly driveway; or 4) park and hike home.

We chose option 4. And, like the pioneers of old, we hiked through the snow. We parked illegally in 2-hour parking, dumped everything out of the baby bag that we didn't need and filled it with the most valuable things that we could carry (the cameras and laptop, but had to leave most of the presents). Note: I didn't even have a coat, just a light cardigan on. So, Rob wrapped the baby in all the blankets we could find. I strapped on the laptop bag, the camera bag and the baby bag and wrapped myself in a couple of wool blankets we had in the trunk and hoofed it up to our home. Also note: I was wearing the flimsiest, most non-traction flats that you could find. We huffed and puffed up the hill and made it home with nothing more than a bit of superficial frost-bite on Rob's head and my feet. You think those pioneer treks give you a glimpse into the pioneers, try this. Thank you, ancestors! Here's a photo of me when we got home.

Whoever was "dreaming of a white Christmas" was safe at home by the fire. It's all a beautiful lie. I hate white Christmases!

6 comments:

Erin Winters said...

I'm laughing, I feel bad admitting it, but that's just such a funny, sad story! White Christmas? Bah Humbug. It's 80 degrees here! Glad you made it home safely!

Your Momma Somma said...

Brrrrr, just reading your story made me shiver and smile. I think I am smiling because I am glad it is not me!

I remember one year that it snowed here in Atascadero. I was in town at the grocery store. By the time I got to the grade, there was already a couple of inches of snow on the ground. We parked the car on the side of the road and got a ride with a neighbor who had a huge truck. He took us to our driveway, we had to hike the rest of the way home. I think I only had two kids with me, Colleen (3 years) and Katie (18 mo.). I carried Katie, but Colleen had to walk. She was wearing her favorite shoes- jellies! (These are plastic, they have a filigree design-which means they have lots of holes in them) By this time there was close to five inches of snow. We got to make the first tracks in the virgin snow.

Colleen was so excited by the snow, but by the time we got home she was cold! I promptly put her in a hot tub and had hot chocolate and warm jammies waiting for her when she got out.

Larry's job was to pick up the other children from school and make it home. There is not one snow plow in the county, just two inches of snow cripples us! How lame is that?

Cristin said...

Yes, pioneers carrying their laptop and cameras... you look cold.

Tricia and Jon said...

Thank you so much for the darling card! Jon and I loved it :) I can't believe how big Grace is getting. By the way, we did pretty good on the trivia you sent

Tricia and Jon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amber {and co.} said...

Amen to that! Whoever wrote the song "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas" clearly didn't live in snow! I'm just glad you guys made it home okay, definitely does not sound like a fun experience! Grace is such a cutie, thanks for the Christmas card! Love ya!