Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Race for the Cure 2010

As you may remember last year we did the Race for the Cure with my Uncle Gord, Aunt Janis, and cousin Shannon. As we ran we thought about how cool it would be to have my mom come in 2010 to do the race with us since it is such a neat experience to participate in. She is a 17 year survivor of breast cancer and we're so proud of her! My parents were planning on coming and they found some awesomely priced tickets so my Aunt Ellie and Uncle John decided to come too. Then, they all found a way for my Aunt Mur to fly out from Florida to complete the reunion of the siblings (Ellie, Elissa (mom), Gord and Mur). So with a semi-reunion started, Shannon and I started brainstorming about the Race for the Cure this year (as if I wasn't in the throes of planning another reunion. I'm crazy. There it is. Moving on.). We decided to make it a day of celebration of Elissa since her birthday is also in May. So we invited all the family who is in Utah who we hardly ever see and got a huge team of around 40 people together. It was an awesome day of celebration of my mom's survival!

My partner in crime and co-planner, Shannon, and I with the team booby{LIS}cious shirts we designed and had made.

Sisters Ellie, Mom and Mur

Siblings Mom Ellie, Gordie, Mur

Getting pumped for the race by doing the "kick-off" dance, a family tradition

Shoulder-riding in style!

Having fun!

And then riding in the stroller and walking weren't cutting it for these two so they got the princess treatment of shoulder rides by their daddies!
Grace, Rob, Jaden and Adam

3 generations of cancer-free women

We finished the "race"...hooray!

The survivors were honored in a parade and were then given the chance to honor someone who helped them through their cancer with a white carnation. Here is Mom giving hers to Dad.

Our sweet husbands showing their "support"

The whole crew at the party afterward.

As a birthday gift, everyone sent memories to me that I made into a book to give to my mom to help her commemorate this great day.

Shannon and I made bracelets for all the ladies and girls to wear during the race and to remember it by afterward. Here we all are with our bracelets.

Mom and Bri

Birthday cake to commemorate the reason for the weekend! haha!

2 comments:

Shelley said...

This post had me on a roller coaster! One minute I was going "aww that's so sweet" and the next I was tearing up and the next I was laughing with the supportive husbands and booby cake pictures. Love this post. Thanks for sharing!

trine k said...

what an amazing event and time it looks like you all had! I love it all, the shirts and the cake and the family support(literally) I think you are pretty amazing for all the planning you did and I'm so happy your mom is cancer free to this day and that we all get to enjoy her wonderfulness!