Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Day of Activities That Came With Their Own Shirts - Part I

This morning we started off our day Running for the Cure (for breast cancer). It was both fun to be part of such a huge event for a great cause and sobering to see how many (young!) survivors there were walking. My Aunt Janis and Uncle Gordie and cousin Shannon have done this before and this year they invited us to join them because my mama is a survivor. I teared up a few times and laughed a lot. Here are some of the highlights from the event. People have such funny t-shirts with their team names on them!
The group (minus Shannon who was playing photographer - thanks Shannon!)

Gracie ran in Celebration of her Grandma

I ran in Celebration of my Mama and Rob ran in Celebration of his mother-in-law...you get the point

Grace spent much of the race chewing on the beautiful pink cure bracelet Shannon made for her. Mmmm...

Then Rob decided Gracie could take care of herself

Then mommy saved her and she was happy and grateful

Here are some of our favorite people and shirts...


Bowl for the cure


This group was hilarious in their bras..."show your support!" You can't really see it, but that guy was keeping his water bottle and other odds and ends in his bra.


Wieners for the cure :) Really? A front pack for dogs and strollers for dogs?


Save the Ta Ta's

The Geeks for the Cure ran with... I heart healthy hooters

Tu Tu's for Ta Ta's (and Rob was concerned that he'd be the only guy in a semi-girly shirt...)


Save Second Base


Our time...we walked. I'm just glad that in 2 weeks at our next 5K we will definitely be able to beat our best time. So what if it's our only time and we walked. Slowly. I still feel good about myself.

My cute family.

Thanks for inviting us Shannon and Janis!

4 comments:

lis bunker said...

wow! What an honor to have so many people walking and celebrating all the fighters and survivors. The event sounds terrific and we'll definitely try to make it next year. I love that Gracie wore the appropriate pink. Cute pictures!

Annie said...

How fun and what a great cause!

Chadlee said...

Those are all so funny! That's great you guys did it!

Clark said...

If there weren't a billion people there, we might have seen you guys. Holly and I "paraded" for the cure too. We actually crossed the finish line right next to the bowlers. From your pictures it looks like your experience was a lot like ours - jogging stroller and all.