Monday, February 15, 2010

Sewing Fun

The past week I have been on a sewing kick. My good friend, Kristin, and I exercise in the mornings and while we do, we talk a lot about crafts and sewing and she is constantly inspiring me to make some fun stuff of my own. (Plus, she helps me work out the kinks in my plans.) Here are some of my projects as of late:

I got this shirt from a Layers warehouse sale for around $3 when Grace was a baby and just haven't worn it a lot since then. I really liked the fabric and print, so I thought it could use a new life as a little spring/summer jumper for Grace to romp around in.

(It looks better in real life - here it's folded kind of funny.)

Then, Kristen was telling me about the darling dress she was making for her baby for Valentine's Day, so I got my brain cells pumping and worked up an outfit for Grace.

This skirt's lived it's "before" life as a button up shirt that I have had since high school and that I wore so many times that it was missing many of it's buttons. Sorry no "before" picture.

I had a little short-sleeved white shirt with some ruffle detailing for Grace to wear with her new skirt, but since it's still cold here, I thought I'd try my hand at re-fashioning a shirt into a cardigan for her to wear. So we hit up the local DI and found this little beauty for $3 (it's a women's knit shirt).

With a little ingenuity and crossing of fingers it turned into this cute little cardigan:

I used one of Grace's shirts and a knit cardigan that fit well as a basic pattern. Also, since I'm on a re-purposing kick, I used the buttons off a nasty white shirt that I was throwing away.

My little model was having trouble holding still, but here are some shots of her in her festive Valentine's getup.

I have a couple more projects up my sleeve, but these successes have boosted my confidence a ton. It's so fun to bring creativity and new life to worn out clothing!

10 comments:

Madeline said...

These are so awesome! I especially love the cardigan (you know me).

I wish I had a little more time to sew, it's all I want to do anymore. Oh, this may be random, but Saturday I think I came up with a solution to my sweater to cardigan conversion dilemma (only 3 months later!) I'll let you know when I am done with it!

You did a great job on all of it!

Ivan said...

Very creative, beautiful model.
DAD

Annette said...

Gracie looks so cute! You are so inventive and great at saving money! I'm impressed.

Becky Sizemore said...

Great Job Sis! Keep up the good work.

Heather Dayton said...

I'm impressed AND inspired. I definitely need to go through my closet and see what I can make out of my old stuff. (Especially with a baby girl on the way.) You are so creative!

Erin said...

Amazing!! Seriously, I'm in awe.

Russ and Ashley said...

wow you are awesome!!

Melanie said...

These look fantastic! Way to go!

My friend has a sewing blog that I think you might like: http://www.dana-made-it.com/

(February is devoted to boy stuff, but if you look back at her earlier projects, it's mostly stuff for her little girl.)

Again, I am very impressed with your work. Great job!

Natasha said...

You really are amazing! Thank you for your inspiration. I sure wish we lived closer!

Your Momma Somma said...

Ditto from all of the other comments. Awesome. Brave. Creative. Thrifty. Talented. Lucky family. Adorable little girl. Keep it up!