Thursday, July 10, 2014

London

I've been meaning to do this post for a while to document the difference between what we were used to in America and what we have here in England. Everything here is tiny!

 These are the biggest containers of flour and rice that I could buy at the grocery store. It seems that everything is like this - you just buy what will last you a week or so (for our family) and buy it again next week. It will be very weird to wander the ginormous aisles of Costco again!

The eggs here aren't white - they're all this brown color and often times there were feathers stuck to them! They also don't refrigerate the eggs here. 

My teeny tiny cookie sheet. I can fit like 6 cookies on it...making cookies takes for.ev.er! It was the biggest I could find!

The food is really fresh here and for the most part doesn't have any preservatives or extra food colorings. I think it will be weird to see the unnatural brightly colored candies like Starbursts again in the States. The Coke here also doesn't have corn syrup like it does in the States and I think it tastes better. Another thing I'm really going to miss is that organic items aren't that much more expensive than the regular ones.

One thing that I will really miss is the online grocery ordering!
 Here are some examples of the website I use. I just type in to search for what I want and it comes up and items I've ordered in the past are starred. Then the next day a nice delivery man shows up at my door to bring it all into my kitchen for me. And they don't tip (for the most part) here. It's great! I am really dreading dragging 3 squawking, begging, fighting children through the grocery store.

There are so many things that I will miss about living here like:
-not having to worry about driving in traffic
-great parks
-amazingly beautiful weather (for the most part)
-greenness of everything
-living on the river and being able to take beautiful morning walks
-forced exercise when I want to go anywhere

And some things that I am really excited for in the States like:
-my washer and dryer
-strapping my kids in the car and not having to remind them again to not swing around the poles in the tube
-Target (one stop shopping!)
-kitchen supplies (VitaMix, KitchenAid, etc...even a decently sized baking sheet!)
-Mexican food! It is terrible here. I am so excited!!

I'm sure that there are lots of other things, but those things stick out in my head. Just a few days left here!

No comments: